Dr. Saad Saad talks about dangerous objects for children to swallow

Dr. Saad Saad is a prominent pediatric surgeon in the United States. He has performed numerous pediatric surgeries in his career. Some of the operations he has done include endoscopies and bronchoscopies.

These operations are mainly carried out when removing foreign objects from the body. To make sure that it is easier for a doctor to remove foreign objects inside the body he created an advanced endoscope. This device is supposed to help doctors perform a surgical operation safely. With an endoscope, a doctor can see through the windpipes and esophagus.

If there is anything that is stuck in these parts of the body, it can be detected and removed. This method can be beneficial when other procedures such as x-ray are not helpful. One main disadvantage of the x-ray is that it can only be utilized to spot metallic objects. If the foreign object is peanut, it cannot be seen.

The normal endoscope is very important in viewing the internal body parts, but there is one problem that is involved, the body fluids hamper the visibility while using the device. In such situations, the foreign object might not be visible.

As we know, the body releases fluids and they normally obscure the visibility of the device. In a normal scenario, when such a thing happens, the doctor is forced to look for a vacuum to suck the liquid before continuing with the inspection. The vacuum will produce such the fluid from the area under inspection. Read more: Life Lessons from Dr. Saad Saad, Pediatric Surgeon and When a Child Swallows a Foreign Object – Advice by Dr. Saad Saad

Dr. Saad Saad is an innovative person; he came up with a device that would do both functions at the same time. He created an endoscope that absorbs fluids while at the same time giving the doctor a better view of the inside parts of the body.

This device by Dr. Saad makes it easy for a doctor to carry out an operation that involves getting some foreign objects out of the body no matter the kind of material they are made of.

Dr. Saad Saad has done over a thousand operations that involve children swallowing foreign objects. However, although some of the objects that children swallow are not dangerous, there are two that can be very dangerous when swallowed by a child.

The first one is a battery. If a child swallows the small remote batteries, they can easily choke him or her to death. The batteries are very small, and a child would easily pick them and swallow without a problem.

What makes batteries extremely dangerous is the acid and chemicals they contain. If the acid leaks, it will corrode the internal parts of the body severely. The other object is the peanut. It is also another object that a child can swallow easily since it is too small. Due to fluids in the body, they can easily swell causing farther damage to the body.

Leave a Reply